Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gingerbread Man Aprons

Been busy this week. I cut out and stitched five "Gingerbread Man"aprons for five of the six grandchildren. Two are shown here. One "apron" is more a bib, quite small, for the baby--but all of them have the verse: "Run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me. I'm the gingerbread man." The last line is on the pocket that contains a felt gingerbread man. I sent them off to the kiddos with a package of gingerbread mix and cookie cutters. These were especially easy to make by using quilt seam binding for the neck loop and ties. I did make adjustable neck portions using two circles as I was guessing on size as three of the grandkids are out of state. Okay, so I said I had six grandkids and made five of these aprons. Well, the grandkids are 5 mo., 1 yr., 2 yrs., 3 yrs. 4 yrs. and--drum roll please--16 years. I knew the 16 year old wouldn't especially want a "Run, run, as fast. . ." apron. Therefore, I made him an apron, but put his caricature on it. His apron is a "Potato Pancake Apprentice" one and since he does help in the kitchen from time to time, I know he'll use it. The felt gingerbread man was easy to make with adhesive backed felt. I folded the adhesive in on itself and used a cookie cutter to trace and outline. Then, I added buttons, magic marker eyes and white trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment